Please note that our Admissions Committee can act on your application ONLY after we have received all of the supporting materials.
The deadline for completed application materials to this Department is December 15 for all applicants seeking financial assistance from this Department.
All other international applicants seeking Fall admission must have completed application materials to the Department by March 15; all other U.S. applicants must have completed application materials to the Department by May 1.
Consistent with the University's goal of increasing diversity among our student body, a number of fellowships and assistantships have been made available for promising students from underrepresented minorities and/or students who have overcome an economic, social, or physical disadvantage. Follow tis link for information describing Schomburg awards.
Note: If you intend on earning a PhD degree, please apply directly to our PhD program, NOT the MA program.
The following materials are required for each application:
1. A complete online application form.
2. A $75 (non-refundable) application fee. Before you submit your online application, you may pay the application fee online by using UB e-Pay with a credit card. If you don't have a credit card, please mail to the address below a check or money order in the amount of $75 in U.S. currency made out to: State University of New York at Buffalo.
3. Scanned transcripts uploaded to GrAdMit - you must supply transcripts from all Colleges and Universities which you have attended. Official transcripts will be required if you are admitted and choose to matriculate to a Graduate Program at the University at Buffalo. The minimum GPA for admission to MA program in Anthropology is currently 3.0, while the minimum GPA for admission to the PhD program in Anthropology is currently 3.2.
4. Results of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) (U.B. Institution code: 2925 . Anthropology Dept. code: 1701). Have the testing service mail official scores directly to the Anthropology Department at at the address below. The department has no set GRE score minimum, but expects students to present strong scores for admission to both the MA & PhD programs in Anthropology. Applicants should note that the undergraduate grade point average and GRE scores required for admission to the Anthropology MA and PhD programs may be higher than those set by the Graduate School at U.B.
5. Request three confidential letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic work. Have the individuals submit their letters directly within the GrAdMit system (preferred) or mailed as a hard copy to to us at the address below.
International applicants must also provide the following:
6. Applicable financial support documentation showing your ability to meet all educational and living expenses for your intended study at University at Buffalo must be filled out on-line as part of your application.
7. Official results of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam (U.B. Institution code: 2925. Anthropology Dept. code: 81). Minimum score: paper test- 600; computer test- 250; internet score- 100. Have the testing service mail official scores directly to us at the address below;
Please be aware that minimum scores are not a guarantee of admission to any program; the entire application will be considered as a whole.
If you would like further information about our graduate program or cannot access the on-line application, contact the Graduate Program Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-645-2414 or mail the department at:
Department of Anthropology
380 MFAC Ellicott Complex
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, New York 14261-0005
Phone: (716) 645-2414
Fax: (716) 645-3808